Surat Demographics (QLD) Local Stats

Surat (4417) is a suburb of Western, South Western, Queensland. It is about 393 kms from QLD's capital city of Brisbane. Surat is in the federal electorate of Maranoa.

In the 2011 census the population of Surat was 426 and is comprised of approximately 48.6% females and 51.4% males.

The median/average age of the population of Surat is 44 years of age.

79.8% of people living in the suburb of Surat were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were 1.2% Thailand, 0.7% New Zealand, 0.7% England.

86.8% of people living in Surat speak English only. The other top languages spoken are 13.2% Language spoken at home not stated.

The religious makeup of Surat is 29.2% Anglican, 22.8% Catholic, 16.7% Religious affiliation not stated, 12.2% No religion, 7.8% Presbyterian and Reformed, 5.6% Uniting Church, 1.9% Christian, nfd, 0.9% Lutheran, 0.7% Buddhism, 0.7% Judaism.

45.9% of people are married, 30.5% have never married and 6.6% are divorced and 5.4% are separated. There are 41 widowed people living in Surat.

71.6% of the people living in Surat over the age of 15 and who identify as being in the labour force are employed full time, 23.2% are working on a part time basis. Surat has an unemployment rate of 5.3%.

The main occupations of people living in Surat are 22.2% Labourers, 18.9% Machinery operators & drivers, 13.5% Community & personal service workers, 13.5% Technicians & trades workers, 12.4% Clerical & administrative workers, 10.3% Professionals, 7.6% Managers, 1.6% Sales workers.

The main industries people from Surat work in are 18.1% Public administration and safety, 15.4% Health care and social assistance, 11.0% Manufacturing, 10.4% Accommodation and food services, 10.4% Construction, 9.3% Education and training, 6.6% Agriculture, forestry and fishing, 5.5% Transport, postal and warehousing, 4.9% Retail trade.

40.6% of homes are fully owned, and 20.6% are in the process of being purchased by home loan mortgage. 30.9% of homes are rented.

The median individual income is $534 per week and the median household income is $749 per week.

The median rent in Surat is $100 per week and the median mortgage repayment is $1000 per month.

Check out FY 2013 Tax Stats for Surat postcode 4417

  • Qpzm LocalStats Queensland Suburb of the Day: Biarra 4313 -> South Eastern -> Queensland